Do you feel losing that excess weight feels like an uphill struggle, what with the seemingly endless dieting and then finding the time in your busy life for good quality exercise? Well I know how you feel, but now after years of trying every different diet under the sun I have finally found a great way of helping myself to stay slim with much less effort. Hurrah!
Did you know a high protein diet is one of the key elements in burning fat, and I’m talking specifically that dangerous stomach fat that increases your risk of heart disease, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. In this post I will show you exactly when, why, and how to use protein powder for weight loss; and also the best protein powder to use for the job.
Reasons why you should keep within a Health BMI
Keeping your BMI within a healthy range is not only crucial for long term health and the prevention of many diseases, but also for your energy and vitality levels. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg, as there are SO many other good reasons for keeping excess weight off that most people know nothing about: These include the following:-
- CONFIDENCE – Whilst some people are confident no matter what their size, many are not; therefore slimming down to feel good about yourself can literally change your whole life for this reason alone. You may feel more inclined to go out and meet new people, start a new relationship, or go for the job of your dreams. There are so many opportunities that open up for you when you gain a little more confidence, and for some this can be about weight.
- A HEALTHY HEART – Taking the strain off your heart by losing weight may lead to decreased risk of heart disease, stroke, and heart attack. The World Heart Federation says that over weight people are more likely to develop the diseases that are risk factors to cardiovascular disease.
- DEEPER SLEEP – Eating high GI junk food can hinder sleep due to blood sugar fluctuations. A low GI diet helps keep blood sugar stable as well as promoting weight loss.
- REDUCED RISK OF DIABETES – Eating less junk foods, plus being in a healthy weight range slashes your risk of diabetes.
- LESS JOINT PAIN – Less inflammation and less weight on joints in general leads to an alleviation of joint and back problems.
- LOWER STRESS LEVELS – Slimmer people generally eat more antioxidant rich foods, and less refined sugars meaning ther=i bodies may be able to cope with the effects of stress better. This is because fluctuating blood sugar from a junk food diet can lead to mood swings, much higher stress levels, and an inability to cope in stressful life situations.
- LESSENING OF ASTHMA AND ALLERGIES – Being overweight puts a strain on both your respiratory system and adrenals, therefore making allergies much more likely OR even worse than before.
- HIGHER SEX DRIVE – The process of your body torching fat raises testosterone levels, which in turn boosts sex drive in both men and women.
- STRONGER IMMUNITY – This naturally comes with the eating of less junk, and the intake of more healthful fruits and vegetables – all of which are laden with immune boosting antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- BETTER MEMORY – High fructose, and sugar laden foods may disrupt the creation of neural pathways in the brain that are associated with memory. Losing the excess pounds, and the eating of healthful foods are both ways to help clear the brain fog that can mess with your head.
- LESS SWEATY – Being overweight means your body has to work harder just to move about and function properly, this leads to more sweat being produced by the body as it tries to compensate, leading you to being a bit of a sweaty Betty.
- CLEARER COMPLEXION – Eating less junk and more veggies will do wonders for your complexion, especially when combined with the powerful and anti aging antioxidants of natural superfood powders.
- MORE ENERGY – Being over weight saps your energy like crazy as just the mere effort of hauling around those excess pounds tires you out quickly. You will notice a remarkable difference in your energy levels with every pound you lose and even just a couple of pounds can make a difference to this depending on your weight to begin with
- IMPROVED MOOD – due to having more energy for exercise which in itself releases those feel-good endorphins that make you feel awesome!
- EASIER BREATHING – Being slim will improve your oxygen efficiency, which means you won’t get so out of breath doing every day activities such as running for the bus or climbing a flight of stairs.
- YOU’LL SNORE LESS – Sleep apnea and snoring are both a lot worse in obese people.
- GREAT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY- Often you will find when you turn to a healthy eating regime that your whole family will want a piece of the action, especially when they start to see how well you look and feel – all good, because you can test out your new healthy recipes on them.
- YOU WILL LIVE LONGER – Obesity could lower your life expectancy by 14 years, so if that’s not enough to make you want to fight the flab then I don’t know what is.
How Protein Works in the Body:-
A high protein diet works in the simple way of helping you to burn fat whilst still maintaining, or building lean muscle mass. On a general calorie restricted diet your body doesn’t just burn fat, but lean muscle tissue as well – which is bad because you need muscle on your body to help burn calories even when you’re resting. Muscle actually needs more calories than fat just to maintain itself, and that is one of the reasons having high muscle mass contributes to keeping you slim.
You don’t need to beef up too much to get this effect, you just need some nice toned muscle in all the places it should be. After all, this kind of muscle looks good on everybody as it makes you look healthy and fit; plus there are so many other benefits to having optimal amounts of muscle mass that have nothing to do with aesthetics. These include:-
- A longer life in general
- Weight management
- Increased calorie burn
- Less risk of injuries from accidents
- Better mood
- Stronger mind
- Deeper sleep
- Strong immune system
- Balanced hormones
- Higher sex drive
- Better ability to cope with stress
- Stronger bones
- Better memory and brain health in general
- More energy
- A much decreased risk of ANY chronic disease
As you can see, the reasons to keep both slim AND physically fit are many, and they go hand in hand to help give you the sickness free and long life you deserve.
Eating a diet high in plant foods is a good place to start on your journey to greater health. And making sure you get at least 7-10 portions of antioxidant rich foods such as colourful fruits and veggies will ensure you get all the nutrients you need to stay in shape and give you zest and vitality.
How To Use Protein Powder For Weight Loss:-
Eating a high protein diet promotes weight loss, mainly due to the fact that protein fills you up and leaves less room for junk foods. It is also it is low GI (meaning it won’t cause a high insulin spike which can lead to fat being laid down), and it fastens up the metabolism thus promoting the burning of fat instead of lean muscle tissue.
For an even higher fat burn you should combine your protein powder with a mix of weight bearing and cardio exercises at least 3 times a week. In fact, this is highly recommended if you are taking a protein supplement for maximum results as you need to put tension on the muscles in order for them to grow stronger.
There are specific fat burning exercises you can do to really get your body into fat torching mode, and they combine resistance training with some cardiovascular exercise. Things like weight lifting (not as scary as it sounds, and is a great fat burner), HITT training, swimming, and boxercise are among the best I know.
And for toning your abs, you can’t beat buying a simple weighted hula hoop that you can easily use at home, or in the back garden. This really works; for toning those abs especially!
Which type of Protein should I use?
Firstly, you should be sure to buy a good quality protein powder if you want maximum results fast. Fortunately, there has never been a time when there are so many different types of protein powders to choose from, and the formulations available on the market today truly are fantastic. It’s exiting times in the protein world; some of them have added nutrients, green superfood powders, digestive enzymes, and even probiotics – making them good enough to even be an actual meal replacement.
The Best Protein Powders are Plant Based
Plant based protein powders are very popular at the moment, and for good reason. Plant proteins are cleaner, cause less inflammation than animal proteins, and are perfect for those with dairy intolerances. Some of them aren’t ‘complete proteins’, but many are very close, and it’s easy to make up for this fact when you know how to either combine them correctly, or simply buy a ready-made blend.
If you would like to buy a straight up protein powder alone such as pea, rice, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin, quinoa or potato for example, then you may need to buy a couple and alternate them or mix them together; OR my particular choice would be one of the blends. Blends are formulated to contain a full spectrum of amino acids which is something you may not get with all of the single powders. It also makes things much easier as it takes the stress out of not knowing what to blend with what.
The single powders with the best amino acid profiles are:-
- BROWN RICE
The blends are great in terms of weight loss, especially as they can double up as low calorie meal replacements. Choose one that contains a full amino acid profile, plus greens and digestive enzymes for the best results. This will help you be sure to get a full spectrum of nutrients like you would if you ate a healthy meal. And some of these powders are specifically designed for actual weight loss purposes, which makes it even easier.
If you’re in training, or doing lots of exercise then you can afford to take extra protein as well as your usual meals and healthy snacks. Some of them are even specifically designed to replace nutrients lost during intense workouts, and some are specifically designed for muscle gain if you want to boost your muscle mass.
You can see why it’s well worth the effort of looking into which type of powder will work for your specific needs. To make this easy for you I have already scoured hundreds of review and devised a list of Amazon’s highest reviewed Powders of 2019 so you will know you are getting a decent product if you choose one of these.
How much Protein should I take?
If you’re on a plant based or vegan diet then you will find it harder to reach your protein needs (especially when exercising regularly). Being a plant based eater myself, for the past 2 years I have learnt in that I do actually need a protein supplement otherwise I start losing muscle mass. I think the fact that I do a lot of exercise has something to do with this, but my point is you have to be sure you are reaching your requirements of ALL plant based macronutrients. Check out here how to do this.
For weight loss purposes, or if you’re in training then you should aim for up to 1.5 – 2 grams per 1 kg of body weight. Most protein powders will come in between 15 -30 grams of protein per portion, so this will give you some guide. You should use protein powder alongside other low carbohydrate foods for faster weight loss.
Best time to Consume your Protein Powder
For quicker weight loss, you should use a protein blend with added greens and other nutrients as a meal replacement in itself. You may want to blend it with a banana for added bulk, and to make it more filling whilst still keeping calories down. You could safely use this for up 2 of your daily meals (be sure to have some low GI snacks in between if you need to), but make sure you have at least one proper meal each day or you will soon get bored – plus you need the satiety aspect of chewing on some real food.
Keeping your Body in Fat Burning Mode During Sleep
When you sleep at night your body goes into a repair and fat burning state, but only if you haven’t eaten too many carbohydrates the evening before and instead stuck to high protein meals instead. Carbs cause an insulin response, and if there’s still too much insulin in your system when you go to be bed then your body will be in fat storage mode, rather than fat burning mode – which is obviously bad for the waist line. Eat your carbohydrate meals at breakfast and lunch, and have a low carb dinner in the evening.
Keep off the Carbs in the Morning for Weight Loss
Alternatively, the morning is a great time to take advantage of keeping the fat burning state going from after your night’s sleep, by having just a pure protein weight loss shake for breakfast, with half an avocado (no banana), and NO CARBS until lunch. This means you will get a good 16-17 hours (including from your night’s sleep) of your body being in super fat burning mode, all without you even going hungry.
This works really well, and you can rest assured you are still feeding your body nutritious food without getting the usual fat storing insulin spike that you get from refined carbohydrates. And the best part of all is it’s healthy, and you don’t ever have to go hungry or do any dangerous starvation diets.
If you just want to stick with your regular diet then you can still use a small scoop of protein (equivalent of about 15 grams) as an in-between snack instead of your usual high carb snacks. Doing this will fill you up for a lot longer, and for fewer calories than any other snack, as you won’t get that fat storing insulin spike because your blood sugar will remain more stable.
Along with using protein powder to lose weight you should also be sure you are sticking to other low carbohydrate snacks if you want to boost weight loss further and keep your metabolism stoked.
Thank you for reading and your support of zestforever.com. If you have anything you would like to contribute to this post, or any questions you need answering then I would be happy to help. Please let me know in the comments section below and I will reply as soon as I can.