Making the healthful change to a more plant based lifestyle is one of the greatest things you can do for your health and well-being, and is definitely something that has truly transformed my own life in the last 2+ years. But many plant based newbies often have a hard time getting enough protein into their diet, especially when inexperienced with plant protein sources, and this is where a supplement may come in handy.
In this post have sourced and reviewed for you the 13 best plant based protein powders of 2019 to help you obtain your protein goals whether you are on a plant based or vegan diet, or still a meat eater. It is harder to get all the right amino acids on the plant based diet, especially if you are working out or training hard. I found this out the hard way a long time ago, so now I always make sure to have a protein powder back up as it really is worth the investment.
Who needs Protein Supplements?
Everybody needs to get optimum amounts of protein, but the importance of this is especially true if you’re in any type of training or exercise regime. This is when your body will need a higher supply of good quality protein for muscle repair, the growth of maintenance of lean muscle tissue, and to help reduce muscle breakdown.
You may also need a protein supplement if you are trying to lose excess body fat, are sick or in recovery from sickness, you skip meals, or are on any kind of restrictive diet which can include vegan and plant based diets.
You may also be a meat eater who just prefers to use a plant based protein powder for training needs. This kind of protein often feels ‘cleaner’ than whey or dairy proteins, and can be easier to digest and causes less side effects.
Plant Based Protein Powder VS Whey
A good quality plant protein that contains 100% natural ingredients is much more alkaline than animal protein, which in turn will lead to less inflammation in the body. This is a good thing considering that many diseases and illnesses are now being linked to chronic, long term inflammation, and eating more alkaline plant foods in general will help reduce this greatly.
One thing I have learnt from my own experiences is that a plant based protein powder after training really lowers the inflammation caused by the wear and tear of hard exercise, which means I feel less aches and pains the next day. So this is another reason why I thoroughly recommend a plant based protein powder over a whey based; or at least to alternate with it if nothing else.
Here is a list of the other awesome benefits I have noticed in the last 2+ years of living a plant based lifestyle, which will make you realise why I am never going back…ever!
- More energy
- Weight loss
- Less bloating in general
- Clearer mind and less brain fog
- Faster recovery time after exercise
- No brain fog due to LESS inflammation
- Stronger immune system
- Less PMS
- Easing of anxiety and depression
- Clearer skin
HOW MUCH PROTEIN DO I NEED?
Your protein needs can vary greatly depending on these 3 things: your activity level, your current weight, and your weight goals. A guideline for most is is between 1-2 grams per kilo of body weight, but that is rather vague so I have broken it down more for you below.
Protein Powder and Weight Loss
If you’re looking to lose excess weight, then not only will you want to be doing some form of regular physical exercise, but it will also help you greatly to up your intake of protein, and lower your refined carbohydrates (by which I mean refined sugars, flours, cakes, pastries, confectionery etc.). For weight loss you should be looking to get between 1.5 -2 grams of protein per kilo of body weight per day. This allows you to reduce fat and NOT precious muscle mass which is needed to help the body burn calories.
For those following a plant based diet you may find this amount of protein harder to achieve, and is where protein powders can be of great help. They can count as a low carb snack AND a big boost of protein in one go. For more in depth information on this topic please check out my post blasting fat with Protein Powder.
Protein and Muscle Building
If you’re doing a lot of strength training (or other resistance exercise), then you could also benefit greatly from a protein supplement to not only help sustain your workout, but to help you build lean muscle also. Again, the same rules apply – up to 2 grams per kg of body weight per day.
You should take this ideally within an hour of training, along with some carbohydrates to replenish muscle glycogen: a ripe banana, or some dates added to a protein shake would be perfect for the job.
If you have been sweating profusely, or exercising outdoors in hot weather, then you will need a lot MORE carbs than just a banana to replenish glycogen loss (around 200ml of concentrated fruit squash with water is good). To clarify, I only recommend high GI sugars like this for the purpose of replenishing muscle glycogen and not in any other situation, as ordinarily this amount of high GI refined sugars would be a health nightmare!
Important Points about Protein Powder to remember
There is no need to take more than around 30 grams of protein in one go (for the average person anyway), as any more than that may very well be a waste of money. Most people can only assimilate around 30 grams of protein in one sitting, so be sure to leave a couple of hours in between high protein meals and shakes for best results.
Don’t automatically presume you need more protein just because you’re a seasoned muscle builder or exerciser as the opposite is usually true. In fact, for those who train regularly their body has become accustomed and very efficient at recycling protein, therefore they often need less than a novice body builder per kilo of their body weight.
Choosing the right Protein Powder for YOU!
There are so many great new plant protein powders on the market these days, and it seems new ones are appearing all the time. This is a testimony to their growing popularity in not just the fitness industry, but in the plant based and vegan community too.
Some plant proteins can be lower in some amino acids and higher in others, which is why (depending on your budget) you may need to either: choose one with a good amino acid profile, use a mix of a couple that have different properties, or buy a pre-made blend (you will find some of the best tasting blends on the market in the list below).
Lactose intolerance is a very common problem, and means basically that your body doesn’t produce the enzyme lactase to break down the lactose in milk products and can cause bloating, gas, and all sorts of other stomach and digestion issues. This is not to be confused with a dairy allergy, which is a problem that affects the immune system, causing it to act like lactose is a foreign invader and producing symptoms such as rash, breathing problems, and even full on unconsciousness.
The below list are also the best protein powders for those with lactose intolerance as they are ALL fully plant based with NO whey or other animal proteins added. If you are lactose intolerant you will understand the importance of keeping away from dairy in any form and you can be sure with these products that you are!
Other Key Points to Remember when Choosing a Natural Protein Powder
- Choose preferably organic so there is no contamination with pesticides, fertilisers, potentially dangerous chemicals, artificial flavours, additives, thickeners, stabilisers, or GMO’s.
- Make sure they are gluten free, especially if you have allergies.
- Watch out for milk ingredients.
- Fillers can be a problem with some brands, and are not only tricking you into thinking you have more of the product than you think, but are also very harmful to health.
- Choose ethical, cruelty free, and sustainable products from a trusted manufacturer.
Below I have already sourced out the highest quality plant protein powders that fit ALL of the above criteria. The products on this list are of the highest quality available from my in-depth research into taste, ingredients, quality control, and real person reviews. If you appreciate good quality food like I do, then I know you will understand the benefits that such foods can have on your health and fitness.
I always endeavor to bring people the highest quality products available, at the lowest prices I can find. I also guarantee you I will only promote products that I have thoroughly researched and believe 100% that they will make your life better.
I never promote ANY products just to make a sale; but if you do decide to make a purchase through this website I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. These small commissions allow me to carry on my work and research for this website to bring you the best products and information on plant based eating.
THE SINGLE POWDERS:
Nutvia – Organic Superfood Hemp Protein Powder Vanilla
WEIGHT – 454 Grams
Protein per Serving – 10 Grams
15 Servings per Tub
GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS*
Hemp protein is derived from the cannabis sativa plant, and offers a full amino acid profile. It is actually the most nutritionally complete known food source; not just due to its superior amino acids, but also the fact that it contains essential fatty acids as well.
Nutvia High Fiber Protein is also:-
- THE BEST PLANT BASED PROTEIN FOR WEIGHT LOSS – Due to its low calorie, high fiber content (only 120 calories per serving) this is a perfect low calorie, low fat, filling meal replacement or snack if you want to lose fat but also want keep and build muscle tone. It is actually vital on a weight loss program that you eat plenty of protein to be sure you are shedding fat and not that precious muscle. Best used AFTER a workout as it does contain coconut sugar to help put glycogen back into muscles.
- HIGH IN PROTEIN – Contains 10 grams of protein per serving.
- HIGH IN FIBER – Contains 12 grams of dietary fiber per serving – which is half your daily needs.
- FILLING – The high fiber content of this protein powder will help keep you full, stop you snacking, and therefore boost weight loss.
- NUTRIENT DENSE – Contains high amounts of magnesium, iron, and zinc.
- EASY ON THE TUMMY – Hemp is easily digestible so shouldn’t cause stomach problems.
- A COLON CLEANSER – Rich in soluble ans insoluble fiber which helps to cleanse toxins from the colon.
- HELPS REDUCE SUGAR CRAVINGS – The fiber content of hemp helps keep blood sugar stable, and stable blood sugar means less cravings for sugary snacks!
- AN IMMUNE BOOSTER – The plant proteins in hemp boost enzymatic function in the blood, and boost antibody formation.
- RAW – Raw foods are full of live enzymes that haven’t been damaged through heat treatment – the body just loves natural raw foods.
- USDA ORGANIC
Now Sports – Pea Protein Powder
WEIGHT – 7LBS
Protein per Serving – 24 Grams
96 Servings per Tub
GREAT ON A BUDGET*
This pea protein has a great amino acid profile and is pretty much a ‘complete protein’, although slightly low on methionine. This is not a problem if you already eat other animal products because you will be getting an adequate amount from these other sources. However, if you are vegan then you could make up for this by either alternating, or adding brown rice protein to your pea in a ratio of 3/4 pea to 1/4 brown rice. As brown rice protein is high in methionine this will be a perfect match.
You may want to add other flavours when making your pea protein shake, as alone it can be bland. For example, adding a frozen banana, nut milk, and cacao powder will give it a much more palatable chocolate milkshake taste.
Pea Protein Powder also:-
- CAN HELP WITH WEIGHT LOSS – by lowering levels of your hunger hormone ghrelin; meaning it can act as an appetite suppressor. If you want to shed fat and build muscle then this could be the protein powder for you.
- HELPS WITH CIRCULATION AND BOOSTS MUSCLE GROWTH – Contains high levels of the amino acid l-arginine, which helps with blood circulation and supports your muscle growth process at the same time. L-arginine is also known for its ability to boost sexual performance and libido.
- IS GREAT QUALITY FOR A LOW PRICE – Look at the bang you get for your buck with this product; 7lbs of organic protein will last you over 3 months at one portion per day.
- IS POTENT AND PURE – all ‘Amazing Nutrition’ products are made with 100% guaranteed potency and purity, so you always know you’re going to get great value for your hard earned money.
- IS FREE FROM ANYTHING BAD – Totally free from all artificial flavours, colours, preservatives, and fillers. Many less desirable and cheaper brands will fill there products with lots of rubbish. You can be sure you are getting exactly what you pay for with this product.
- NON GMO VERIFIED
- PURE YELLOW PEA PROTEIN ISOLATE –Nothing else!
Sun Warrior – Raw Vegan, Brown Rice Protein Powder Superfood Vanilla
Protein per Serving: 15 Grams
47 servings per tub
HIGH PROTEIN* GREAT VALUE* GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS*
This raw brown rice protein is of the highest quality available and is classed as a superfood due to its unique processing. It is processed under very low temperatures and uses the whole raw sprouted grain, which is the thing that gives it its impressive and ‘complete’ amino acid profile.
Brown rice protein has been proven in studies to have the same effects on muscle building, muscle mass, recovery, strength, and body composition as animal derived whey protein. You get a large 1KG pot for your money which contains a whopping 47 servings.
Brown rice protein is one of the closest you can get to a full amino acid profile from the plant world, therefore can be taken alone.
Sun Warrior brown rice protein is also:-
- VERY HIGH IN PROTEIN – Per serving this powder gives you a good dose of protein, coming in at a high 15 grams.
- PERFECT FOR WEIGHT LOSS PLANS – At such high protein per serve, and still only containing 80 calories, this powder is fantastic for a weight loss diet. It is rare to find such a low calorie, high protein product; so this one is the perfect mid afternoon sugar free, fat free, ‘pick me up’.
- HIGH IN LYSINE AND LEUCINE – These two essential amino acids are crucial in a vegan diet and work together in the synthesis of protein.
- REDUCES FAT GAIN – Brown rice protein specifically has been found to contain unique peptides that may help reduce fat gain; more so than soy or white rice protein.
- HYPOALLERGENIC – Brown rice is less likely to give you an allergic reaction than other proteins.
- TASTES GREAT – Sun Warrior protein powders taste good even on their own (I can vouch for this as I use their product a lot), but taste even better with a nut milk. This makes them easily transportable as you can just add plain water to the powder anytime, anywhere.
- SUSTAINABLE – Brown rice is more environmentally friendly than its white counterpart.
- NON GMO, VEGAN, ORGANIC, GLUTEN FREE.
Nature’s Plus – Organic Pumpkin Seed High Protein Energy
WEIGHT – 429 Grams
Protein per Serving – 15 Grams
15 Servings per Tub
BOOSTS ENERGY LEVELS*
You’re going to love this awesome pumpkin protein powder as it comes already supercharged with its own high energy blend of enzymes! This one will not only help you to cut fat and build lean clean muscle, but will also give you that extra boost of energy needed to train harder and faster.
It’s more expensive than some of the other plant proteins but you really are getting a supreme product for your extra cash. This pumpkin powder boasts super high levels of nutrients, namely the antioxidant vitamin E which plays a big role in anti aging of both body and mind.
This Pumpkin Protein also:-
- CONTAINS 3000MG OF PUMPKIN EFFA’S – essential fatty acids are needed by everybody, but even more so for exercisers as they burn so much off.
- HAS A HIGH IRON CONTENT – This powder’s iron content is ideal for those at risk of developing anemia. It is also vital for proper brain function, muscle function, the regulation of body temperature, AND it helps to carry oxygen around the body. All of these are great benefits for body builders or those on an intensive training program.
- HAS HIGH ZINC LEVELS – Essential for the production of hormones, the immune system, and the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- IS HIGH IN MAGNESIUM – Especially crucial to stop your muscle aches and pains during and after exercise.
- PROMOTES RESTFUL SLEEP – Pumpkin contains tryptophan which will help you get a great nights sleep and is essential for muscle growth and repair.
- IS HIGHLY ALKALISING – Pumpkin’s natural chlorophyll detoxifies your system, thus reducing inflammation and leading to quicker recovery times after exercise and training.
- IS A SOURCE OF L-ARGININE – which is a libido booster – nuff said!
- HELPS WITH BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL – Ideal for diabetics and those wanting to cut stomach fat specifically.
- TASTES GOOD ALONE – meaning you can just add water or nut milk and it will be palatable.
- GLUTEN FREE, YEAST FREE, ALLERGEN FREE, NON GMO, USDA ORGANIC.
Nature’s Plus – Sunflower Protein Powder plus Enzymes
WEIGHT – 555 Grams
Protein per Serving – 16 Grams
15 Servings per Tub
GOOD VALUE* GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS*
Sunflower protein isolates are relatively new to the market; and it seems they are making a protein powder out of everything these days, but is it worthy? Well, it does bring some great benefits to the table, but not quite as many as it’s pumpkin counterpart. However, this is reflected in the price as it comes in at around a third cheaper.
But, it does contain some impressive nutritional stats; for instance, it has the same added digestive enzymes as the pumpkin powder to give you that high energy boost (they are the same brand so I’m presuming this is their own unique formula). Higher digestibility means better amino acid absorption, which of course, is great in the physical performance stakes.
This Sunflower Protein Powder also:-
- HELPS TO LOWER CHOLESTEROL – Sunflower seeds contain phytosterols, which are plant compounds that can both lower bad cholesterol and also keep cholesterol levels steady.
- IS AN IMMUNE BOOSTER – Plant phytosterols strengthen your immune system to help keep sickness at bay.
- IS HIGH IN VITAMIN E – Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that will help fight free radical damage in your body, so great for those in hard training as exercise in itself produces free radicals.
- HIGH FIBER – This one’s high fiber content will really fill you up – meaning less hunger that can lead to junk food snacking; a great weight loss pick.
- GOOD FOR BAKING – Its slight fat content and texture will make it a better choice for baking, or even homemade raw protein balls.
Note: Some reviewers commented that because of this products high fiber content this goes quite thick and gloopy. Great if you prefer a thicker milkshake effect, but if you prefer a thinner shake then go for a protein powder without a high fiber content.
THE PROTEIN POWDER BLENDS:
Sun Warrior – Organic Pea, Hemp, and Goji Berry Raw Protein Powder
WEIGHT – 500 Grams
Protein per Serving – 16 Grams
30 Servings per Tub
This delicious chocolate flavoured protein blend is pretty unique and contains the high antioxidant superfood goji berry. This works perfectly with pea and hemp for an amazingly raw, high enzyme blend of all the amino acids.
It also offers so much more than just being a mere protein powder. This drink is healthful in other ways due to the fact that its ground raw coconut content will give you a boost of heart healthy medium chain triglycerides, which are great for helping to lower bad cholesterol and boosting good cholesterol.
All this works in perfect harmony with the high antioxidant content of the goji berries. Antioxidants are not only heart healthy, but also help delay, and even reverse the aging process of the body on both the inside and out.
This Sun Warrior Protein Blend is also:-
- SUGAR FREE – which is a major plus point, because it is vital to keep your blood sugar stable for the terms of health and weight loss. This one is sweetened only with natural steviol.
- CONTAINS ALL BCAA’S – This protein blend contains all of the branch chain amino acids needed for you to build lean muscle.
- IS HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS – Goji berries, along with these other foods, are one of the highest antioxidant foods known to man.
- LIVE ENZYMES – This product is fully raw, which means all the natural enzymes of the individual ingredients will still be intact.
- AN IMMUNE BOOSTER – The antioxidant content of this powder has the added bonus of boosting your immune system for extra protection against disease and illness.
- A METABOLISM BOOSTER – again, the antioxidants and enzymes in this blend will help boost your metabolism and keep you in fat burning mode.
- FOCUS AND MENTAL CLARITY – Natural enzymes and antioxidants promote a sharp brain and help you to focus on the task in hand.
- SOY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, NON GMO, DAIRY FREE, VEGAN.
Sun Warrior Classic Plus – Chocolate Flavour Vegan Protein Blend
WEIGHT – 1KG
Protein per Serving – 17 Grams
40 Servings per Tub – 40
GREAT VALUE* PACKED FULL OF SUPERFOODS*
This great value tub of high quality protein will last you well, and if you’re looking to be using protein in the long term, then buying larger quantities is more cost effective. Some reviewers have said this one is slightly chalky textured so you may prefer to blend it with other ingredients; a banana, or some other fruit would be perfect. But plenty of reviewers also stated that they like the taste of it on its own with just water, so you can make up your own mind about that one.
This particular blend is based on brown rice protein which is one of the best proteins in terms of amino acids, plus it has the added benefits of pea, chia, quinoa, and amaranth protein. Mixing up different proteins is a good idea as they all have something unique to offer, and it’s preferable to taking just one type of protein alone.
This Sun Warrior blend also:-
- CONTAINS EFFA’S – This protein powder contains chia and quinoa, which both contain a good array of essential fatty acids. Quinoa in particular is already a ‘complete’ protein and is said to be one of the most nutritionally dense superfoods you can eat, especially on a vegan or plant based diet when you need to be sure you are obtaining all your macronutrients in the right ratios.
- IS SUGAR FREE – and contains only natural sweetness from steviol, making it low GI and great for keeping your blood sugar stable. Stable blood sugar helps you to burn belly fat specifically, so eating lots of low GI foods in general will all help towards this.
- CONTAINS FIBER – The fiber content in this powder makes it good for filling you up, which ultimately means weight loss.
- CAN BE USED AS A PRE AND POST WORKOUT
- IS HIGH IN LYSINE AND LEUCINE – Both of these can be low on a vegan diet; so a great powder for vegans.
- HIGH IN IRON – Iron is vital for energy, so those suffering from, or at higher risk of anemia, may find this one useful.
- CONTAINS VITAMIN C – This antioxidant is needed in high amounts, especially when in a training or exercise program.
Garden of Life – Vanilla Flavour Raw, Organic Protein with added Vitamins and Probiotics – *STAR PRODUCT *
WEIGHT – 624 Grams
Protein per Serving – 22 Grams
Servings per Tub – 20
ADDED PROBIOTICS* CAN BE USED AS MEAL REPLACEMENT* ADDED GREENS*
This Garden of Life product is literally CRAMMED full of amazing, healthful and life giving raw foods. So much more than a protein powder alone as it also offers added nutrients, and gut friendly, immune boosting probiotics.
Not only does this protein powder offer a full amino acid spectrum, but also it’s a whole food in itself and has pretty much everything you need to live on. This would make it perfect for building lean muscle mass, and ideal for those in recovery after an operation or illness, or even for anybody who needs meal replacements for whatever other reason.
What has really blown me away about this product is the amount of raw enzymes it contains which has been achieved by the natural sprouting process of the brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, chia seeds, garbanzo bean, aduki beans, lentil, flax, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds. Absolutely awesome product in my opinion, and next on my list to try personally!
Unfortunately, the price is a bit higher for those living outside of the US, but it’s still an amazing and great value product considering all the added extras you get with the vitamins and probiotics, so don’t let that put you off if you can afford to go for it.
The general consensus about the taste of this product is an all round ‘good’, especially when served chilled.
This Protein Powder also Offers:-
- ADDED VITAMINS AND MINERALS – This powder is boosted with added nutrients of calcium, magnesium, selenium, manganese, magnesium, iron, molybdenum, and vitamins A,D,K and C. All of these are vital to every working part of the body; including immune function and energy production.
- ADDED CHLORELLA – Chlorella is a green algae superfood that is a powerful detoxifyer and helps eliminate heavy metals from the system. It is also proven to help reduce body fat, lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar, regulate hormones is good for circulation, and is anti aging. Wow, what a list! If you don’t buy a protein powder with added green superfoods then you should definitely consider buying a seperate green superfood powder for its intense nutritional profile.
- RAW ENZYMES – These help with absorption of nutrients into the body thus helping the whole digestion process to run smoothly. Raw foods are also much more nutritious as they have all their nutrients still intact due to them not being destroyed by heating processes.
- PROBIOTICS – This powder gives you 3 billion CFU of live bacteria lactobacillus and acidophilus.
- GLUTEN FREE, NON GMO, ORGANIC, VEGAN.
Garden of Life – Chocolate flavoured Raw Protein with Added Greens
WEIGHT – 611 Grams
Protein per Serving – 20 Grams
20 Servings per Tub
ADDED GREENS* CAN BE USED AS MEAL REPLACEMENT*
Yet again, another very high quality product from Garden of Life. Yes it’s more expensive than some of the others, but as is often the case with food products, great quality costs, and you do get what you pay for. This nutrient dense powder will get you glowing due to its wonderful raw greens, and is an absolute treat for your body.
Make a mental note of the fact that the Garden of Life products have come up time and time again among the best protein powder reviews, and it has been given it a 5 star rating. The taste, texture, and blendability of this product are good, and it also makes a highly nutritious meal replacement when whizzed up into a smoothie with a frozen banana and some nut milk – perfect.
Yep, this one is just so much MORE than just another protein powder! It has a blend of plant proteins from many sources including pea, spinach, kale, broccoli, beetroot, carrot, and alfalfa grass juice. These have been sprouted for the added digestive benefits of those raw enzymes.
This Raw Protein and Greens also:-
- CONTAINS RAW CACAO – This powder gets it rich and delicious flavour from raw cacao beans, which also happen to be very high in the antioxidants that to help neutralise free radical damage in the body. Cacao will also give you an energy boost both pre and post workout.
- IS A FAMILY SUPPLEMENT – This one tastes so good it would also be great for the kids, especially if you want to get more live greens, probiotics and enzymes into them. All disguised as a delicious chocolate milkshake of course.
- CONTAINS RAW ENZYMES – The raw sprouted greens in this protein shake will ensure maximum absorption of all its key nutrients.
- ADDED PROBIOTICS – Contains 1.5 billion CFU (colony forming units) of probiotics to aid digestion, boost health, and strengthen the immune system.
- IS NUTRIENT DENSE – Is especially high in the nutrients selenium, manganese, and vitamin K.
- HAS A FULL SPECTRUM OF AMINO ACIDS – Raw Protein Greens has a great amino acid profile which is due to its proteins coming from so many different sources.
- SUGAR FREE – and sweetened only with stevia leaf.
- USDA ORGANIC, NON GMO, GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN
Dr. Mercola – Pea, Potato, Hemp, Chia, and Chlorella Vanilla Protein Powder 5 star*****
WEIGHT – 690 Grams
Protein per Serving 12 Grams
30 Servings per Tub
This one contains potato protein that has a high biological value (a term for how well an amino acid is absorbed in the body). Potato protein’s amino acids are in proportion to the body’s requirements, and has one of the closest profiles to whey or egg.
This Dr. Mercola powder contains an array of other plant proteins too (this is a good thing as every source has its own unique composition and benefits, and is the reason why I prefer the blends so much); these include pea, chia, and hemp proteins, which all in themselves have well rounded amino acid profiles.
I also found a lot of 5 star reviews stating that this was the best tasting vegan protein powder in terms of taste and texture. It’s smooth and fluffy with real vanilla pod flavouring, making and a treat to eat; so if your’e big on taste then this one is definitely for you!
Other Benefits of Potato Protein include:-
- ADDED SUPERFOODS – Dr. Mercola protein also contains the superfood green algae chlorella, which is a powerful antioxidant and detoxifyer. You will always feel and see a glow to your skin, plus get a boost of energy after eating these potent green superfoods.
- MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES – which are found in the chia and hemp protein. These are a healthful saturated fatty acids known for improving energy levels, cognitive function, hormone and mood balance, boosting weight loss by mobilising stored fat, and aiding digestion.
- LOW CALORIE – A great snack on a weight loss plan due to high protein, nutrient, and fiber content, all packed into a small amount of calories.
- NO SUGAR – Contains no sugar or sweeteners of any kind; but doesn’t need them as it tastes good without them and gets its sweetness from the lovely vanilla bean.
PlantFusion – Vanilla Bean Plant Protein Powder
WEIGHT – 2 LBS
Protein per Serving – 21 Grams
30 Servings per Tub
This PlantFusion supplement derives its protein from pea, amaranth, quinoa and artichoke. I haven’t seen a blend with artichoke before, but as artichokes are super healthful and detoxifying then this is a great addition to their powder.
The unique mix of these plant protein sources makes this powder a complete protein that has an amino acid density comparable to whey, but without the animal protein side effects. This complete protein source also has a little added fructose, making it perfect for muscle recovery after a hard workout when the muscles will need to be refueled with glycogen.
This product is praised in reviews for how well it mixes with water or nut milk, and is not gritty, chalky, or pasty as some powders are. However, some have said this is quite sweet so it may not be for you if you don’t have a sweet tooth.
Other Benefits of PlantFusion Protein Powder Include:-
- KNOWN ORIGINS – PlantFusion manufacture their own products at their own ‘open book’ USDA organically certified facilities, so you really know where your ingredients come from with this one. Unfortunately, this specific product is not organic (which is reflected in the price) but many of their other products are.
- ENZYME BLEND – This company have their own enzyme blend that they use in their products to help with digestion and absorption. A fact that is verified in some of the reviews as being easily digestible and easy on the stomach.
- HIGH DIGESTIBILITY – Due to the added enzyme blend this powder is good for those who have delicate stomachs or find it hard to digest high amounts of protein. This powder is all about digestibility!
- GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, NON GMO
MRM – Chocolate Mocha Veggie Elite Performance Protein
WEIGHT – 1,110 Grams
Protein per Serving – 24 Grams
30 Servings per Tub
MSM Performance consists of a blend of pea and brown rice protein, and is concentrated at a very low temperature to keep all those healthful live enzymes and goodness in. This protein combination, along with its added digestive enzymes, gives you the full spectrum of amino acids making it a perfect pick if you have the specific goal of building lean muscle tissue.
It is however, also suitable for anybody needing to add more protein to their diet for various reasons such as recovery, weight gain, weight loss, or simply ensuring they get an adequate supply of protein whilst following a vegan or plant based diet.
Reviewers of this protein powder found it to be easy on the digestive system, and it was said to cause much less gas and bloating than other powders, particularly the bloating associated with whey. So another great powder for those who have digestive issues; plus it tastes great too apparently.
Unfortunately, again, this particular product is more expensive if bought in the UK, but is still a great deal even at the higher price considering it is such a large tub at over 1 KG. Just an even better deal for US purchasers.
Other Great Benefits of MSM Protein Include:-
- CLINICALLY PROVEN DIGESTIBILITY – Proven in clinical trials to digest and be absorbed into the system just as effectively as whey, but without the side effects of bloating and gas.
- HAS ALL THE BCAA’S – contains all of the branch chain amino acids you need to build muscle, plus aid muscle recovery after a workout.
- HIGH PROTEIN CONTENT – Contains a minimum of 80% protein by weight.
- GASTROINTESTINAL FRIENDLY – Due to its added digestive enzymes this protein powder is easily digested and easy on the stomach.
- TASTES GREAT – even with just water alone.
- 100% NATURAL, HYPO-ALLERGENIC, GLUTEN FREE.
Legion Thrive – Milk Chocolate Plant Based Blend
WEIGHT – 2.18 LBS
20 Servings per Tub
Sorry, this product doesn’t seem to be available in the US
SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PLANT BASED ATHLETES*
For those who like a milk chocolaty taste, this protein powder is big on that. Of course, this isn’t all it has to offer, but taste is a big concern for some people who may find other powders unpalatable. This one is made from a clinically effective, and highly bio available, amino acid blend of pea, rice, hemp, and quinoa.
It is specifically designed for plant based and vegan athletes, and has an added 21 nutrients that boost some of the more common nutritional deficiencies that typically affect plant based exercisers. These added nutrients include vitamins A, C, D2, B-VITS, and the minerals calcium, iron, and zinc; they are also in high enough quantities to have proper benefits and to cover your nutritional needs.
If you are a vegan plant based eater (and especially if you do lots of exercise) then you may want to consider a supplement of these other 3 crucial nutrients that you may be lacking, especially if you have lived this lifestyle over a long period.
Although I could only find one review on Amazon about this product, I actually found many on their main website at Legion Athletics. There were lots of 5 star reviews about the taste, texture, and easy mixing of this protein supplement.
Other Benefits of this THRIVE Blend include:-
- ALL NATURAL FLAVOURS
- SUGAR FREE – and sweetened only with stevia.
- ADDED DIGESTIVE ENZYMES – These allow for better absorption of the amino acids; which means better muscle building, and higher fat loss.
- EASY ON THE STOMACH – Digestive enzymes play a role in helping the body to break down food without bloating, cramps, and gas.
- NON GMO, VEGAN.
Do I need an extra green superfood powder?
Green superfoods are pretty essential on a healthy eating and exercise plan, and even more so for people who are sick or in recovery from an operation. Some of the above protein powders do contain greens such as spirulina, chlorella, wheat grass, blue-green algae, and moringa as well – which is great; however, as they are primarily a protein powder you could obtain a much higher dose from a separate supplement.
As with the protein powders, green superfood powders all offer different benefits and it is worth your while going through and looking more in-depth at the vast array of benefits to find which one best serves your needs.
Green superfood makes such a difference to your life, health, skin energy, and vitality that I had to mention it at the end of this post; and it also perfectly compliments your protein powder and training plan. Find out more about the different types of greens available in this post ‘The best green superfoods‘.
Thanks for reading this article about plant based protein powder. I hope you have found something that suits you, and if you have any questions or comments I am always happy to lend a helping hand, so go ahead and write me a message and I will get back to you ASAP!
Don’t forget to join up below↓↓↓ to receive more plant based new, food plans, tips and everything else you could possibly need to live this planet friendly lifestyle as healthily as possible.