Antioxidants keep you youthful, and so you need a plentiful supply of them to maintain not only a healthy body but also a healthy mind. This awesome list of plant based foods high in antioxidants are easy to incorporate into your diet, and best of all they are cheap and easy to source.
In fact, some of these top 21 anti aging foods truly deserve super food status due to their impressive array of phytochemicals and nutrients, all of which will keep you glowing, healthy, and feeling great for life.
WHAT ARE ANTIOXIDANTS EXACTLY?
Antioxidants are specific molecules found in certain foods that help inhibit the oxidation of other molecules (ie the molecules inside every cell in your body). This is important because oxidative damage is one of the root causes of most diseases, illnesses, and AGING in general so keeping oxidative stress to a minimum is vital to anti aging.
The antioxidant rich foods on this list, and certain natural anti aging supplements to a greater extent, will help keep you in a state of regeneration instead of degeneration which is when you start to feel and look aged and tired.
Unpaired electrons cause accelerated aging:-
Oxidative damage to our cells is caused by many (some seemingly benign) every day activities and addictions (see list below) that cause our cells to split, thus triggering free radicals in the body.
These free radicals are otherwise known as unpaired electrons and they scavenge our bodies looking to pair themselves up again by stealing electrons from healthy cells. This process causes untold damage to our DNA, cells, and other proteins.
Therefore it is crucial to negate this free radical damage as much as you possibly can as this damage, when it gets out of control, can have a domino effect and eventually trigger diseases such as cancer, alzheimer’s, and most of those other age related illnesses.
WHAT CAUSES THIS OXIDATIVE DAMAGE?
- Over exercising, OR not exercising enough – Both of these can cause oxidative stress so stick to no more than an hour a day; but by the same token make sure your’e doing at least half an hour 5 times per week.
- Over eating, especially sugars and refined carbohydrates – Over eating causes our mitochondria to release more ‘exhaust’ so to speak, and this creates higher free radical levels from the burning of fuel from food for energy.
- Excessive stress – Something that we’re all guilty of in our busy lives: excessive stress literally is a killer! It causes the release of the stress hormone cortisol, which in turn produces inflammation in the body and thus creating free radical damage. It’s also worth mentioning here that chronic inflammation underpins most diseases and illnesses.
- Too much alcohol – Excessive drinking increases cytokine levels, which are molecules that cause oxidative stress through inflammation.
- Smoking – an obvious one! – Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals – which sounds absolutely horrendous right? And it’s these chemicals, the worst being formaldehyde, lead, arsenic and ammonia, that cause the most destructive kind of oxidative stress which will almost certainly lead to disease and ill health. So give up the evil ciggie’s for good if you want to super charge your health!
- Ionizing radiation – This can mean many things, but most commonly it’s exposure to the sun (as in sun damage), or mobile phones, WIFI, airplanes, and X-rays can all cause oxidative stress in our bodies.
- Fungus – Molds and fungus like those found in your bathroom or damp houses contribute to oxidatve stress in the body; as do candida and other fungal infections in and on the body itself.
- Burnt foods – Especially burnt meat or cheese: the process of burning food oxidises it, and when consumed causes oxidation, thus free radical damage in the body.
- Poor sleep and chronic insomnia – Both of these cause stress due to the fact that the body hasn’t been able to rejuvenate and repair itself properly. In the long term this will have a snow ball effect in terms of oxidative damage and the resulting problems.
- Pollution and chemicals – Again this can come in many forms, from household pollutants such as cleaning products, air fresheners, soaps, shampoos, and make up etc; to the outdoor pollution of industrial toxins, airplane fuel, and car exhaust fumes. Even our food is full of chemicals, preservatives, and fertilisers, and the water we drink full of yet more chemicals.
- Infections – Chronic long term infections such as chlamydia and gum disease all contribute to oxidative stress and damage in the body.
- Bad liver and gut detoxification – When the liver becomes overwhelmed in its pursuit of detoxifying all of these toxins it will produce yet even more free radicals, which then perpetuates the cycle even further. At this stage a proper detoxification may be necessary to bring the system back into a state of balance.
As you can see there are many ways in which your body comes under free radical attack, and many of them simply cannot be avoided. BUT, you can go a long way to giving yourself a helping hand with the detoxification process which is where antioxidant rich foods come in. These alone should not be your only protection but they will most certainly help, especially alongside other lifestyle changes such as:-
- A healthy diet
- Adequate exercise
- Not smoking
- Watching alcohol intake
- Staying away from, as much as possible, heavily polluted areas
- Having lots of houseplants to purify air
- Where possible buying organic food, cosmetics, and soaps
- Staying away from, or cutting down drastically, on junk foods, fried foods, burnt foods, sugar, and refined carbohydrates
Remember, your body is designed to detoxify itself, and without this magnificent system beavering away inside of us 24/7 we would not survive even a day. But it is important to understand that we were simply not designed to detoxify from all the harsh pollutants we are exposed to in our modern world.
These pollutants put a huge strain on a daily basis on your liver and other detoxification organs, until eventually the battle is lost and you succumb to disease and sickness. This CAN be avoided if you act now and start giving your body the nourishing food it needs.
Some (not all) experts say that our bodies are perfectly capable of detoxifying from every day life, but how can this be true when diseases like cancer are rife? Since I have been eating high antioxidant foods and green superfood powders my whole body has changed. I now have clear skin, shiny hair, and my mind is much clearer; plus I literally never get sick, which is proof enough to me that I’m detoxifying very well indeed!
FOODS HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS – TOP 21 ANTI AGING FOODS
This is a list of the most commonly found foods that are the highest in antioxidants, and you should aim for at least 7+ portions of these per day to keep your body in good health and detoxifiying adequately. They are also highly anti aging so should be eaten in their most rawest state possible (or very lightly steamed) for best results. This will help to keep all those wonderful nutrients and fibers intact.
- Berries of all kinds
- Dark Chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- Pecan Nuts
- Kidney Beans
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Red Wine/ Red Grapes/ Raisins
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts
- Bell Peppers
- Green Super Food*
Green Superfood Powders
Green super food powders are a powerful detoxification tool and probably one of the best things you can do for your body. There are many available including spirulina, wheatgrass, barleygrass, moringa and blue/green algae’s. They deliver a concentrated hit of nutrients that have been picked and freeze dried at their peak.
I take a shot of a green food supplement every day and I really couldn’t live without it makes such a big difference to my complexion and energy levels. I can only presume if it’s showing from the outside, then just imagine what it’s doing on the inside.
Other reasons to use green superfood:-
- WEIGHT LOSS – Green superfoods are also a fantastic weight loss aid as they help to keep blood sugar stable and therefore reduce food cravings.
- HIGH IN NUTRIENTS – They are also an intense hit of pure vitamins and minerals that will help make sure your body is getting everything it needs. Sometimes your body can be ‘starving’ of nutrients even if you eat a lot of food, which will therefore trigger food cravings, leading to weight gain.
- ANTI INFLAMMATORY – Green superfood powders are highly alkaine, meaning they can help lower inflammation in your body that may lead to diseases such as arthritis, alzheimer’s, and some cancers.
- DETOXIFICATION – Keeping the body detoxifying well is at the heart of good health.
- IMMUNE BOOSTER – A shot a day of superfood will REALLY boost your immune system!
- ENERGY – Need more energy? I think we all do, and these superfood powders will give you a zing and wake you up within 20 minutes. Great for when you’re sick, have a hangover or just about to hit the gym.
- GLOWING SKIN – The most natural make-over of all! You will for sure see a noticeable boost to your complexion after you have taken a shot of superfood, not to mention a sparkle in your eyes too.
Please check out these reviews on the best superfood powders of 2018
How to start your healthier lifestyle today:-
Sometimes it’s hard to know where to begin when you decide you want to turn your health around. I know as I’ve been there, and this feeling makes it all to easy to procrastinate on something that needs to be a priority in your life.
Well don’t delay, the sooner you make these changes to a healthy lifestyle the sooner you will feel great and have the energy and confidence to live the life of your dreams.