You have likely heard of resveratrol for its use in anti aging and beauty products, but what is resvertrol in food wise?
In this post, we will go into the highest food sources that contain this anti aging compound. We’ll also see if the science backs up the claims of its anti aging abilities.
Anti aging compounds (such as resveratrol) are also anti aging for the whole body. This is a side effect that many people don’t even think twice about. But, in terms of health, anti aging on the inside is SO much more important than the outside. It’s all the better when we can do both at once right?
Resveratrol is anti aging because it is so high in the antioxidants. These antioxidants help to fight the free radical cell damage that causes overall body and brain aging.
The more antioxidant rich foods you can get into your diet, the slower you will age, both on the inside and the outside. This means ultimately less risk of age related diseases.
Resveratrol supplements for anti aging
Resveratrol comes in a much higher dose in the form of supplementation. It acts like an antioxidant that may help towards inhibiting the aging process, especially when it’s taken alongside a whole food plant based diet that contains the natural food sources of resveratrol. Plus an array of colourful and antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables.
It’s important to understand that for best results, ALL anti aging foods (or supplements for that matter) need to be taken alongside a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle in general.
Any supplement should just act as that final boost to push your health to the next level and shouldn’t be relied upon solely to do all the work.
Does Resveratrol Really Work?
Harvard Medical School researchers have now confirmed that the resveratrol compound found in red grapes does indeed provide anti aging benefits.
The study shows that antioxidant rich resveratrol directly activates a protein in the body that leads to health and longevity.
It has also been discovered in the same research that more potent drugs with pharmaceutical compounds not unlike resveratrol, may have the potential for preventing and treating age related diseases.
A potential ‘major player’ in anti aging
This evidences suggests that resveratrol could potentially be a major player for anti aging. But, would require proper supplementation at much higher doses than cannot be found in foods alone.
This is because, once metabolised by the liver, only small amounts of resveratrol actually get into the bloodstream where they can be of use. Therefore, it goes without saying you should always buy good quality resveratrol to be sure you are getting it in its most bio available and organic form.
If you are thinking of using resveratrol supplements for medical reasons, then always consult with your doctor first in case of any contraindications with other drugs.
Highest Food Sources of Resveratrol
As well as supplementation, eat these tasty foods too:-
- Dark berries
- Red grapes
- Red wine
Eating these will help boost the anti aging effects of the resveratrol supplement. Fruits and vegetables are rich in many other anti aging antioxidants that will work in harmony together to enhance the overall effect.
There are not many foods that contain this compound, hence the reason most people prefer to supplement.
Also, whilst one glass of red wine may be healthy and have some great benefits, any more than that could be damaging. Alcohol is a toxin after all; and too many toxins lead to cell damage and ultimately accelerated aging!
The Best Resveratrol Supplements
There are a lot of resveratrol supplements on the market these days, so be sure to always go for quality over quantity.
Always read the labels carefully before use. Bio-availability and absorbability into the body is something to also be mindful of too, otherwise you’ll just pee it out.
Here I have found a brand called Puredia that are leading the way in bio-available products.
Their resveratrol supplements contain concentrated trans-resveratrol from the root of the Japanese knotweed combined with black grape skin to give a potent, broad spectrum product.
Time Health Resveratrol – Natural Trans-Resveritrol Antioxidant Protection
- Time Released 180 Capsules
- Helps support cardiovascular function
- 3 Month Supply
- Absolutely NO filler, binders or additives
- Split dosage for proven maximum absorption
- Manufactured in the UK from raw materials
- GMO FREE
- GLUTEN FREE
Possible side effects
- Healthy people usually tolerate resveratrol well. But, here aren’t actually any conclusive dosage amounts so, always read manufacturers labels carefully.
- Can increase bleeding and bruising when taken alongside anti clotting drugs.
- Do not use alongside blood pressure, anxiety, or immunosuppressant drugs.
- If you are on any drugs, it is wise to check with your doctor before use.
To Conclude – Your Natural Anti Aging Plan:
- Eat resveratrol rich foods such as peanuts, black grapes and red wine (obviously in moderation) often.
- Check out these other anti aging products and see which could benefit you.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week and get a sweat up. Toxins are released when you sweat – toxins that would otherwise accelerate the aging process in your body.
- Cut out refined sugars as much as possible. They mess with blood sugar and cause insulin spikes, which also accelerate the aging process.
- Add lots of antioxidant rich foods to your diet, such as brightly coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Eat a low GI, whole food diet to keep blood sugar under control. This will help stop those high insulin spies that fasten up aging on both the inside and out.
- Fill your cupboards from the foods on this whole food grocery list, then bin all the junk.
If you do all of the above on a regular basis, you will soon be looking youthful and sprightly with plenty of energy to live a full life.
Please feel free to ask any questions, or leave any comments about anti aging in the thread below as I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting zestforever today!