Glucosamine Sulphate is a compound that occurs naturally in the fluid around your joints, and helps to build cartilage, ligaments and tendons. It’s also found in shellfish shells (which is the common extracted form that is often used in supplements), and the very reason why it is used is because it is the same compound found in your own body.
This is the actual raw material our joints and ligaments are made of, and as we don’t produce this compound naturally it means supplementing really is the only way to rebuild joints and ligaments after they have broken down due to either wear and tear, or aging.
But what are the best glucosamine supplements? And what is optimum dosage to see results? All this will be covered in this post to help you make an informed decision about whether you need them or not.
Many people swear by the remarkable benefits of glucosamine supplementation, especially those with joint pains, or those suffering with diseases like arthritis and osteoarthritis. These are the obvious reasons, but there are other amazing benefits to this popular supplement of which I will go into more detail before you make any decisions about using it for yourself.
Why take glucosamine sulphate?
1. ANTI AGING
The news we have all been waiting for – glucosamine seems to be a potentially effective treatment for wrinkles too! And when applied to the skin, stimulates cell renewal. In facial moisturising creams it comes in the form of hyaluronic acid, a substance makes its way into the deeper skin layers and stimulates collagen production, in turn reducing wrinkles and fine lines on the face.
Skin plumping action
Glucosamine is also a building block for hyaluronic acid, which plumps out the skin making skin texture more youthful from the inside too. This is seen not just in the form of topical creams, but also when taken orally, making supplementation a great way to achieve beautiful skin.
In an experiment from PubMed, it was shown that glucosamine sulphate has a beneficial effect on epidermal and dermal markers associated with age in just eight weeks, so imagine how well long-term use could potentially work.
These are just awesome findings, imagine being able to reduce wrinkles by a third just by using this one supplement! Of course, using glucosamine both topically and orally is sure to amplify the effects, especially when taken along side other natural anti aging products.
2. MAY RELIEVE JOINT PAIN AND OSTEOARTHRITIS
Osteoarthritis is often caused by one or more of these 4 major things:-
- Joint Injury
- Being Overweight
- Family History
The end of your bones are covered with a layer of cartilage, which works as a shock absorber to stop bones rubbing together and doing you damage. In osteoarthritis, this cartilage breaks down thus causing those bones to painfully rub together, but supplementing with between 500- 1500mg of glucosamine sulphate may help the body repair damage, rebuild new cartilage, and lower inflammation all at the same time.
In fact, glucosamine supplemention is the number one thing you should be doing if you suffer from osteoarthritis, but you may need to experiment with the amount that works for you as we all absorb nutrients differently. Start at the higher end of 1500mg, and experiment with going lower after that. For me, personally (and for most I have spoken with), I definitely notice a difference in my creaky knees at 1500mg, but when I go lower it seems to creep back again; therefore 1500mg seems to be an optimum dosage.
Enhancing glucosamine’s effects
Glucosamine effects are said to be enhanced when combined with chondroitin sulphate (this not only helps to stop cartilage breaking down but also helps to repair it, therefore working in harmony with glucosamine) and the two often come together in the same supplement anyway.
Most people find that they do work better together, and the scientific evidence supports this.
Always make sure you source out good quality and trusted brand supplements, as will pay dividends when it comes to the quality of hat you actually receive. Bad quality and cheap supplements are rife, and often filled with fillers and other chemicals which are hard for the body to break down and eliminate.
Good supplements are organically sourced and have high bio availability, meaning that the body can more easily absorb uptake the nutrients into your system. It is always more cost effective in the long run to go for quality over quantity.
Recommended dose – 1500mg per day
Other ways to reduce inflammation alongside glucosamine:-
- Eating a highly plant based diet will mean you are taking in lots of alkaline foods, rather than the acidic foods which keep your body in a high state of inflammation. Foods that contribute to inflammation include junk foods, sugar, trans fats and most dairy products. An highly alkaline diet should be full of fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts and seeds and highly plant based.
- Take turmeric: You can buy turmeric supplements, or you can add the powder to your food which is my preferred method. It can definitely be preferable to eat the ‘whole food’ where possible, especially if something is just for preventative reasons. Remember, whole foods tend to be more bio-available in the body. Please read about the amazing powers of turmeric, and follow the recipe on how to make this powerful and healing turmeric paste. I now have my whole family on this amazing stuff, and they have ALL seen and felt varying results from less colds to less joint pains. Turmeric is one spice that has now been proven in studies to lower chronic inflammation in the body.
- Take a green superfood powder shot everyday in the form of wheatgrass, barley grass, chlorella, spirulina or moringa. These are highly alkaline, and will help to fight chronic inflammation on a cellular level. Ideally take a blend, or a mix of these powerful detoxifiyers and see the difference not only in inflammation, but due to their high levels of antioxidants they are also anti aging and will help keep you young on the inside AND out.
- Exercise is a very IMPORTANT part of keeping your joints and ligaments flexible and strong. You can’t seriously expect your body to stay fit and healthy without a good exercise routine in place. You know that old saying ‘use it or lose it sista’!
Taking a trusted glucosamine and chondroitin alongside the other recommendations in this post may be your best defense against painful joints, inflammation, and aging in general. But, I highly recommend you do all of them to really want to see long-term results.
You really can’t do any one thing and expect the best results possible, rather a combination of good lifestyle choices would be the best advice to give. Not only that, but you may also be lowering your chances of many other age related diseases and illnesses in the process.