A diet that cuts out all refined carbohydrates is without a doubt the best diet to lose weight fast, and also to keep it off for good. Reducing your refined carbohydrate load is one of the most effective ways I know to reduce body fat percentage – and I’m talking belly fat specifically, which is the most dangerous and disease causing kind. And, unfortunately for the sweet toothed among us this type of fat around the middle is usually the type of fat laid down more readily when you over consume sugary treats.
When it comes to weight loss there are no end of different diets out there all promising you the world and usually not delivering. Or, only delivering in the short term which is obviously not ideal, especially as the ultimate aim for all of us is to be slim for life without having to think too much about it.
Cut out Sugar and you will GLOW!
When I first did a two week sugar detox, I was struck by how quickly my skin responded. I seriously looked the best I could ever remember, glowing and fresh – not that I’m gloating, but seriously, by cutting out refined sugars and refined carbohydrates in general you will lose your sugar cravings very quickly (surprisingly, way more quickly than you may think) which means initially fast weight loss.
In fact, you should not only lose excess flab, but your skin will literally glow too. Too many refined carbs and sugars not only make your skin listless and dull but also sap you of your energy and enthusiasm for life, which is yet another major reason why cutting down on sugar is vital to your health.
The fastest way to get this energy and vitality back, is to not only cut out sugar, but also get lots of antioxidant rich superfoods into your diet in the form of fruits and veggies. Upping your consumption of plant foods will leave you less space to fill up on junk; plus your body will feel more satisfied due to it receiving lots of nutrients, in turn helping banish those dreaded food cravings.
How to get a flatter stomach in one week
Yes, this is very doable WITHOUT having to go hungry, as nobody wants to feel like they are starving themselves OR missing out on anything. It makes you miserable and saps you of your energy; and we all know how horrible it is to feel hangry (an urban dictionary word explaining a mixture of hunger that triggers anger, or feeling short tempered due to lack of food, which then causes your blood sugar to drop).
So, without further ado, let’s dive straight in and I will show you what needs to be done in order for you to not only feel good about yourself, but also be the best version of you that you can be. Yes, food can honesty be that powerful when you use it in the right way!
There are no strict diet rules here (sorry, I just don’t believe in them as I like to enjoy my life), and it really is true when they say “diets don’t work!” Yes, you may lose weight initially, but statistics show that unless you actually change your thought patterns around food AND the way you eat for life also, then you will simply pile it all back on again, plus more on top – thus prompting you to go on yet another diet only to start the whole process all over again. Oh, the misery…
The yoyo dieting trap!
And so begins that pattern commonly known in the diet world as yoyo dieting, which can eventually mess up your metabolism completely (I’ve been there). And that is something that you definitely don’t want to do as you will start to find it impossible to lose weight no matter how hard you try. This problem could make you gain more weight and trigger your health to spiral downwards, possibly leading to all manner of weight related problems including obesity, metabolic syndrome, adrenal burn out, and type 2 diabetes.
So, to get you on the right track you should keep things as simple as possible, and more importantly don’t think of these changes as a ‘diet‘ as such, rather a change of your conditioned habits around food for life. You needn’t say adios forever to all the treats you love, as this is a negative and depressing thought and will mean surefire failure.
I like to stick to the 90/10 rule, which means eating healthily 90% of the time and leaving 10% for those treats that give your life meaning (phew). And, I don’t know about you, but my personal meaning is dark chocolate!
YOUR 5 EASY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
The aim here is to eat a diet rich in plant foods to ensure you take in LOTS of antioxidants. Eating plenty of these antioxidant rich foods (like those on the list below) will not only help to keep your body detoxifying (which in itself will help to melt excess fat), but may in the long term help to slow down the aging process of your entire body on both the inside and out.
1. Add these foods into your diet
- FRUITS – of all kinds; but go easy on the high sugar tropical fruits such as pineapple, mango, papaya and over-ripe bananas. Also, grapes are high in sugar too, even though they are not classed as a tropical fruit.
- VEGETABLES – Eat a rainbow of colours, such as dark green leafy veggies of all kinds, salad, beetroot, bell peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes and squashes. Try to eat something from all the colour groups every day, as it is the colour pigment that gives a food its antioxidants.
- PULSES – such as lentils, chickpeas, cannellini beans, borlotti beans, butter beans and pinto beans. TIP: They are so much easier to use straight out of the can where they can be added straight into soups, stews and chilis.
- WHOLEGRAINS – such as quinoa, spelt, barley, oats, oatmeal, millet, amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, and wholemeal sourdough bread.
- GOOD QUALITY PROTEIN – It’s good to get the bulk of your protein from plant foods wherever possible. Viable sources of high quality plant protein comes from quinoa, buckwheat, green peas, all pulses and beans, nuts, seeds, organic, vegan protein powders, sugar free peanut butter (which can be a life saver as it’s high in protein; full of healthy fats; and is so versatile and easy to add to any snack or smoothie). Make sure you go easy on nuts and seeds as they are very high in fat! And if you eat animal products as your source of protein, then go for the best quality (ideally organic) that you can afford and just eat it in much smaller amounts. You will definitely notice the difference if you do this one thing in itself.
- HEALTHY FATS – in moderation of course. These include good quality virgin organic coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, flax oil, sesame oil, and grape seed oil.
- NUTS AND SEEDS – Not only a source of protein but full of healthy fats, nutrients and antioxidants; plus they make an easily transportable on the go snack.
- GREEN SUPERFOOD POWDERS – These are great if you feel like you just can’t get enough green leafy vegetables into your diet (most people find it a chore). High quality green superfood powders are concentrated forms of nutrients that you can easily take a shot of in some water or juice at any time of day (though I would steer clear of them in the evening due to them being over-stimulating before bed). They boost your energy and noticeably make your skin glow within half an hour of taking them – proof that your body just LOVES the nutrients they offer in my book. I use these every day regardless of how many other greens I’ve eaten, just to be sure.
2. Remove these Foods from your Diet (at least 90%)
- SUGAR – Refined sugars are hidden in many foods; especially fast foods and other junk foods. You should also remove all confectionery, sweets and chocolate (have some dark chocolate if you get a craving, as it works just as well).
- REFINED CARBOHYDRATES – such as pastries, white bread, white rice, white pasta, and white flours in general that come in the form of donuts, cakes, biscuits and cookies.
- FIZZY DRINKS – These are the kiss of death to any diet as they are just basically sugar water with literally zero fiber or nutrients. Ditch these for good if you want to stay slim for life. Even the ‘diet’ and ‘low sugar’ versions are very bad for you as they are full of synthetic sugars and chemicals – not good when you want to keep your body detoxified. Swap them for sparkling water with a little squash added, or try watered down fruit juices, herbal teas, or some of these other great metabolism boosting beverages.
- UNHEALTHY FATS – These are the kind that come in junk foods, deep-fried foods, crisps, chocolate, cakes, and all of those other naughty things you know you shouldn’t have if you wish to stay in tip top health. Oh yes, the list is endless when it comes to foods that contain unhealthy fats, but if you steer clear of junk foods in general then you won’t need to worry about this.
3. Don’t Forget to GET MOVING!
It’s not rocket science, as even the best weight loss diet won’t give you the greatest results possible without a good exercise plan in place. No matter how you choose to do it just make sure you get moving every day in some shape or form. It’s easy to power walk to the shops or work, join a gym, or simply follow one of the many thousands of free exercise videos on Youtube in the comfort of your own home.
4. Build Muscle Mass
I can’t stress enough how important it is to have muscle tone on your body, not just for a myriad of health reasons in itself, but also to help keep your metabolism high and your body in FAT BURNING MODE – now there’s three little words that we just love to hear! Muscle mass is metabolic and will help you to burn more calories per day than stagnant fat, so will therefore help to keep you slim even when you’re not exercising. Awesome huh?
The best way to build muscle is through strength training which includes sports such as gym, HITT, boxing, kettlebells, and other resistance exercises. Three sessions a week will be enough to help you build muscle mass and burn fat.
Here is an example of one of the many videos available on Youtube that can be done in the comfort of your own home. Best of all, they are cost free, apart from the initial lay out for any equipment that you may need of course. Using home videos also allows you to work at your own pace at a time that suits you, providing you have the determination to actually do them.
5. Natural Diet Supplements
I’m not a fan of most weight loss supplements for the simple fact that most of them are either a scam or just a complete waste of your hard earned money. And, I’m especially not a fan of anything unnatural, synthetic or down right dangerous, which can be another issue with certain diet pills (I’ve tried them in the past and have had bad experiences with certain types).
Having said that, there are some very natural types of diet supplements on the market that do actually work to help enhance weight loss alongside a healthy diet – don’t expect miracles, but you should see a difference in how much faster you lose excess weight as long as you use them correctly.
If you would like to find out more about these then please read my list of these proven natural diet supplements and see if they are suitable for you before you use them (this is very important). I have researched and found only the scientifically researched brands that have good customer reviews, but you should always read labels thoroughly to double check they are ok for you.
If you start today with the simple changes on this list, then you can expect to see results pretty quickly. My hope is that when you start your healthier diet and lifestyle you will feel so good that you’ll never want go back, meaning you will never have to worry about your weight again.
I am always happy to answer any questions, so do feel free to post away in the comments section. I would also love to hear any of your own health or diet tips that I may not have mentioned already.
Don’t forget to join up!
Don’t forget to sign up below for regular updates, tips, guides and meal plans from Zestforever straight into your inbox. Thanks for reading and supporting this website – you’re awesome!