Recipe by: Dr. Vincent Esposito Ms, DC
This slow cooker, lentil taco soup is a delicious and high protein, complete meal with lots of nutritious vegies and an array of pulses.
This is a soup-come chili recipe due to the addition of pulses, cilantro and Mexican spices.
We’ve also added lots of toppings in the form of more fresh cilantro, sliced spring onions and those all important tacos to finish.
Make a big batch of this and eat it for days, or freeze for another time. We always encourage you to save not only time in the kitchen, but also money. Batch cooking does both of these things, which is why many of our recipes are perfect for this.
This dish is also whole foods plant based with no added oils, just whole nutritious foods for health.
Slow Cooker, Lentil Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 cup French or Brown Lentils
- 1 28 oz. can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can Pinto Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Frozen Sweet Corn thawed
- 6-8 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 1 White Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper diced
- 1 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Ground Cumin
- 2 t Dried Oregano
- 1 t Smoked Paprika
- 1 t Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Lime juiced
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Scallions
- Tortilla Chips
- Hot Sauce
- Chopped Jalapenos
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set your Instant Pot to SAUTE. Once hot, add your onion, carrots, garlic, bell pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and translucent.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Fasten the lid to the Instant Pot, and set to PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 30 minutes. Then, allow for a natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid.
- Add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings to taste.