Recipe by: Dr. Vincent Esposito Ms, DC
Sandwiches are best served with lots of seasoning and crunchy veggies. Once you get a good sandwich recipe down, you will use it forever.
This Pea, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich has everything you could want in a sandwich. It’s full of flavour, healthy herbs, lots of vegetables and is high protein from the chickpeas.
We always like to keep our sandwiches as healthy as possible, and that includes the bread. Always go for high fibre granary or sourdough. White bread will take away from this sandwich some of its health giving benefits.
You can also serve this sandwich filling in a wrap of your liking and it will be equally as tasty.
PLT (Pea, Lettuce & Tomato) Sandwiches
- 2.5 cups cups Green Peas fresh or thawed if frozen
- 1.5 cups Fresh Basil packed
- 3-4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 T Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 T Nut Butter Almond Butter works well
- 1-2 T Water Vegetable Stock, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tomatoes slices
- Arugula or Spinach
- Dijon Mustard
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Whole Grain Bread OR Wraps
- Tomato Bisque
- Fresh Basil
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Prepare the peas. Set a skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the peas are bright green. Set the peas aside to cool.
- Add the peas, garlic, basil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, nut butter, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well-combined and NOT completely smooth to keep some texture.
- Toast your bread as desired.
- Prepare you sandwiches by added the pea spread to one side and some Dijon mustard to the other slice of bread.
- Add in your other components.
- Serve with tomato bisque and salad. Enjoy!