Recipe by: Dr. Vincent Esposito Ms, DC
Looking for a delicious, spicy dish you can knock up quickly and out of store cupboard ingredients?
Look no further than this quick vegan chana masala recipe if you want a warming, winters dish.
This classic Indian recipe is one of the delicious meals you will find on our Weekly Meal Plans designed for BUSY people.
Quick Vegan Chana Masala
- 1 Red Onion halved and cut thinly into half-moons
- 1 15 oz. Chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. Pureed OR Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock OR Water add more if you want a thinner dish
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 head Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Ginger minced
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- 2-3 fresh green chilies sliced with seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cloves
- 1 tbsp. Coriander
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Stock or 1 t Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a pot to medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil. Then, add ginger, garlic, and red onion, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Cook until onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add chiles, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, and chickpeas. Add all spices and bring mixture to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook until thickened, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve with rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!