Recipe by: Dr. Vincent Esposito Ms, DC
This week on our delicious Fast & Easy, Weekly Meal Plans we’re eating dirty rice and quinoa with black beans.
We love this dish because the black beans and quinoa make it a high protein, low calorie, nutrient dense meal that everyone will love!
Serve with some homemade cornbread to bulk it up and make it more filling.
Dirty Rice & Quinoa with Black Beans
- 3 ⁄4 cup Brown Rice
- 3 ⁄4 cup Quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 1 head Garlic minced
- 3 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes with juices
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Stock for sautéing
- For Garnish
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Scallions
- Hot Sauce
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a pot to medium heat. Add 1 tsp. olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is
- translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and spices to the pot. Bring to a boil and cover. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes, until all the water has reduced out.
- Stir in the black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!