Recipe by: Dr. Vincent Esposito
Here’s a delicious recipes that makes a perfect, family friendly main meal. These smokey sweet potato and chickpea burgers are super healthy, high protein and with lots of nutritious veggies.
You can serve these burgers alone or in a bun with a crispy salad and some chewy sweet potato fries. Or, just regular potato fries if that’s what floats your boat.
To make delicious sweet potato fries it’s best to pre-boil your cut potato (or stem) until tender but not cooked. Then add to a pan with some hot coconut oil, add some seasoning and bake in the oven until golden and chewy.
The coconut oil really compliments the flavour of sweet potato so it’s a great oil to use. You don’t need to use much if you want to keep calories down and oil to a minimum in your diet.
Smoky Chickpea & Sweet Potato Burgers
- 1 28oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 large roasted Sweet Potato diced
- 1 cup chickpea Flour OR Oat Flour
- 1 red Onion diced
- 6 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ground Flaxseeds + 4 T Water whisked together
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp garlic Powder
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil OR Vegetable Stock for sautéing
- Burger Buns
- BBQ Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Shredded Lettuce or Cabbage
- Pickled Onions
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Roast and cool the sweet potato prior to assembling the burgers.
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F and line 1 baking tray.
- Set a skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onion. Sauté the garlic and onion for 5-6 minutes, until the onion is translucent, then remove them from heat.
- Add the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher, mash them, but keep some whole to add some consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, and stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Form the patties and place them on the lined baking tray. Bake them for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Assemble the burgers with your desired fixings. Enjoy!