You have most likely heard of resveratrol because its well-known use in anti aging and beauty products, but what is resvertrol in food wise? In this post we will go into the highest food sources that contain this anti aging compound, and see if it can help you too stay looking more youthful and glowing.
Anti aging compounds (such as resveratrol) are also anti aging for the whole body. This is an awesome side effect that many people don’t even think twice about, but the reality is in terms of health, anti aging on the inside is SO much more important than the outside – but all the better when we can do both at once right?
This is because resveratrol is high in the antioxidants which help to fight the free radical cell damage that causes overall body and brain aging. The more antioxidant rich foods we can get into our diet the slower we will age, both the inside and the outside, meaning ultimately less risk of age related diseases.
Resveratrol Supplements for anti aging
Resveratrol comes in much higher doses from supplementation, and acts like an antioxidant that may help towards inhibiting the aging process, especially when taken alongside a healthy whole food diet that contains the natural food sources of resveratrol, plus an array of colourful and antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables.
It’s important to understand that for best results ALL anti aging, or any other supplements for that matter need to be taken alongside a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle in general. Any supplement should just act as that final boost to your push your health to the next level, and shouldn’t be relied upon solely to do all the work.
Does resveratrol really work?
Now this is the million dollar question – Harvard Medical School researchers have now confirmed that the resveratrol compound found in red grapes does indeed provide anti aging benefits.
The study shows that antioxidant rich resveratrol directly activates a protein in the body which leads to health and longevity. It has also been discovered in the same research that more potent drugs with pharmaceutical compounds not unlike resveratrol may have the potential for preventing and treating age related diseases.
This evidences suggests that resveratrol could potentially be a major player for anti aging, but would require proper supplementation at much higher doses than cannot be found in foods alone. This is because, once metabolised by the liver, only small amounts actually get into the bloodstream where they can be of use. Therefore it goes without saying you should ALWAYS buy good quality resveratrol to be sure you are getting it in its most bio available and organic form.
Other Possible benefits of Resveratrol Include
- Bad cholesterol reduction.
- May help to lower blood pressure (but exercise is a great way to do this).
- Can help protect the brain from age related diseases.
- May increase insulin sensitivity.
If you are thinking of using resveratrol supplements for medical reasons then always consult with your doctor first in case of any contraindications with other drugs.
Highest food sources of Resveratrol
As well as supplementation, eat these tasty foods too:-
- Dark berries
- Red grapes
- Red wine
These will help boost the anti aging effects of the resveratrol supplement because fruits and vegetables are rich in many other anti aging antioxidants that will work in harmony together to enhance the overall effect.
As you can see, there are not many foods that contain this amazing compound,hence the reason mast people prefer to supplement. Also, whilst one glass of red wine may be healthy and have some great benefits, any more than that could be damaging. Alcohol is a toxin after all, and too many toxins lead to cell damage and ULTIMATELY accelerated aging!
The Best Resveratrol Supplements
There are a lot of resveratrol supplements on the market so be sure to always go for quality, and always read the labels carefully before use. Bio-availability and absorbability into the body is something to also be mindful of too – unless you want expensive pee!
Here I have found a brand called Puredia that are leading the way in bio-available products, and their resveratrol supplements contain concentrated trans-resveratrol from the root of the Japanese knotweed combined with black grape skin to give a potent, broad spectrum product.
Time Health Resveratrol – Natural Trans-Resveritrol Antioxidant Protection
- Time Released 180 Capsules.
- Helps support cardiovascular function.
- 3 Month Supply.
- Absolutely NO filler, binders or additives.
- Split dosage for proven maximum absorption.
- Manufactured in the UK from raw materials.
- GMO FREE
- GLUTEN FREE
Possible Side Effects:-
- Healthy people usually tolerate resveratrol well, but there aren’t actually any conclusive dosage amounts so always read manufacturers labels carefully.
- Can increase bleeding and bruising when taken alongside anti clotting drugs.
- Do not use alongside blood pressure, anxiety, or immunosuppressant drugs.
- If you are on any drugs it is wise to check with your doctor before use.
To Conclude – Your Natural Anti Aging Plan:
- Eat resveratrol rich foods such as peanuts, black grapes and red wine (obviously in moderation) often.
- Check out these other anti aging products and see which could benefit you.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week and get a sweat up. Toxins are released when you sweat; toxins that would otherwise accelerate the aging process in your body.
- Cut out refined sugars as much as humanly possible, as they mess with blood sugar and cause insulin spikes – which also accelerate the aging process.
- Add lots of antioxidant rich foods to your diet such as brightly coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Eat a low GI whole food diet to keep blood sugar under control, which will help stop those high insulin spies that fasten up aging on both the inside and out.
- Fill your cupboards from the foods on this whole food grocery list and bin all the junk.
If you do all of the above on a regular basis you will soon be looking youthful and sprightly with plenty of energy to live a full life. Please feel free to ask any questions, or leave any comments about anti aging in the thread below as I would love to hear from you. Thanks for visiting zestforever today!
Before you leave, don’t forget to sign up below↓↓↓ to receive all the latest posts on anti aging, fitness, weight loss and living a healthy lifestyle that will ultimately keep you looking youthful and beautiful for life. Don’t forget, long-term anti aging is about a number of lifestyle changes and not just any one thing and I cover this in a lot of my blog posts.